Monday, March 12, 2012

Spring Cleaning






For me, springtime brings a new sense of purpose, and repurpose. Having spent the good portion of 2011 trying to discard, donate, and reorganize, last night I decided to dedicate a 40 min cleaning session to sprucing up the unfinished part of the basement. Normally a no man's land of storage bins and laundry detail, last year's labors provided me with newfound space. Whipping out a half-used can of paint, I tackled painting all of the cabinets and doors a cheery bright blue. The result made me wonder why I hadn't done it sooner. My tropical painting, Self-Portrait with Cat, a 1992 tribute to Henri Rousseau's Dream, was set above the washer/dryer, adding just the right amount of insouciance to my domestic duties. And who could forget the 50's bar stools? Perfect height for the workspace I had just cleared. Yes, it was a rewarding 40 minutes indeed.

No comments: