Friday, February 25, 2011

Janet Simpson: Northport Artist





While I was away this week, I regretfully missed an opportunity to be at the opening of artist Janet Simpson's art exhibition. Fortunately, collage artist and photographer Louise Millmann was on hand to provide a full report and to purchase a drawing for me before they were all snatched up. Hosted by the Tasting Room in downtown Northport, the place was packed with local artists, who were not only paying tribute to a tireless and talented woman, but to purchase some of the finest landscape art on Long Island. Simpson, who grew up on the east end in Amagansett, always appreciated the natural world. Whether working in pastel, paint, or fabric, her images capture the essence of light, line, and color, creating artwork that brought the outdoors inside. I was fortunate to have been Janet Simpson's student, during which time she served as a mentor and confidante, all the while still making artwork. She taught me that being a great teacher includes being a lifelong student, for our own exploration becomes an example for others. Fortunately for us all, Ripe Gallery owner Cherie Via was also at the opening and has plans in the works for another show of Janet's work. Will keep you posted!

5 comments:

Ripe Art Gal said...

Yay Janet!...the urge to buy. was.
..overwhelming...

Michele Spera said...

I have wondered where Janet was, I had her all through high school as my art teacher and she made a huge impact on my life, I would love to get to see her again :-) to tell her that in person
Michele spera

Christina said...

Thanks for posting about Janet's show! I see David and David were there with DoJoRo! Wish I could have attended too, I think of Janet often, of the many hours I spent in her classroom, and her textile work in particular continues to inspire me. Wish there was a place online to see Janet's recent work. Are there any photos of the exhibit itself?

Nadine @ BDG said...

@ Chiristina-- Actually Louise Millmann was my guest reporter so these were her pics-- I will have to add an image of the painting she purchased on my behalf. Just lovely.

Unknown said...

I've been wondering what ever happened to my favorite high school art teacher who helped me get a portfolio together which gave me an entry ticket to FIT and a wonderful 20 year career as a textile designer in the home furnishings industry. I wanted to say, "thank you Janet." I presently teach middle school art in Millburn, NJ.
I'm glad to know you are making art and keeping the Northport scene alive.
With love and admiration,
Claudia Wielandt (Sohr)