Saturday, December 12, 2009

Architecture History: A Study in Contrasts


Two different eras-- the Rococo interior of the first picture typifies the extravagant emblishments of 18th Century design, whereas the rustic ruins of the second is a perfect representation of the so-called Dark Ages of 860 AD. I have never been a big fan of the Rococo era, finding its confection too saccharine for my taste, and I certainly do not romanticize life in the Dark Ages where Europe was wracked with war and disease; however, I love the historicity of seeing both in the same city of Mainz, Germany. In the first, I can almost hear the harpsicord plunking out a new tune by Mozart, and in the second, there's the earnest sound of Gregorian chant, each note like the individual stones adding to the Church's structure as a testimony of devotion.

No comments: