Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Going Home Again




Who says you can't go home again? Sometimes it's better the second time around. Having grown up in Northport, LI, I developed a cynical teenaged attitude against the little town of ice cream and antiques. Later, before focusing only on architecture, Bouler Design Group opened a gallery and shop named Artfolio on Main Street next to the movie theater. The years have passed and now I take my children to Northport to walk around, and yes, get an ice cream cone.
On yesterday's trip, I was pleased to find a charming shop down an alleyway called The Dishmonger, a mix of new and vintage kitchenware. Everything was so perfectly selected and displayed that it was hard to focus on just one item. From the artichoke tureen (can't stop thinking about it) and the vintage Corningware that may have been straight from my grandmother's kitchen, I had a hard time narrowing down a purchase. Fortunately I'll be in the area tomorrow and might just have to pick up that tureen-- oh and that dutch oven-- and maybe the oilcloth for the kitchen table. Unless, of course, you get there first!

5 comments:

modernemama said...

I never knew - but I Northport means to me Jack Kerouac hanging out in bars with artist Shirley Geller... and my introduction (in a different bar) to an American delight called The Blooming Onion, but we won't go there!

Nadine @ BDG said...

True, Northport Library conducted an interview with Kerouac-- the audio tape are fascinating. But when local artist Stanley Twardowicz was forced out of his studio loft on Main Street due to soaring rents, I feared the loss of the artistic vibe, never mind the problems the baymen face. But reality is, I've mellowed over time.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind words about our shop. This is a tough time for small business.

Angela
The Dishmonger

pve design said...

If you and the Mr. need a spot to quench your thirst,
"The Frisky Oyster" is a hip spot. I love the North Fork, Perhaps for Artists, the North Fork holds more allure than the (Hampsteins.) thats what we call it now.
Love the Dishmonger---hope you get all those things that just will not leave you alone until they go home with! :)
pve

Nadine @ BDG said...

I did return for the artichoke tureen and the dutch oven!
I'm headed out to the North Fork in a couple of weeks, so I'll definitely check out the Frisky Oyster, if only for the name alone!