Saturday, May 2, 2009

Dwell(ing)





I've been thumbing through Bouler Design Group's collection of Dwell magazines, trying to narrow down the stack, and it is virtually impossible. Each issue features great products and helpful insights into designing modern, sustainable buildings. It's rare that I don't like a building featured, and I wind up marking half the pages to share with James and Nick, earning me the title of 'Official Reader'. Ever since the demise of Domino magazine, I've been highly concerned about my other favorite design publications, especially Dwell. I know the move to digital is coming, and fortunately Dwell has redesigned its website to grow within this technology. From their new site, I've pulled a few pics of residential projects to encourage people to try something new with their homes. It's why one hires an architect instead of pulling a plan out of a generic plan book. After all, if you're going to go through the tedious process of variances and construction, the result should reflect the specifics of your site, your program, and your aesthetic.
Dwell is a reminder that architecture is evolving. Not everyone wants a traditional home. Every month I am excited to see that client who took the leap of faith in the design, who said 'I want something new' instead of something predictable. It's through individuals who commit to the future of architecture that our built landscape will eventually be more than the Levittown model of sameness.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the design of these houses. they seem so organic to me with all those fabulous windows and the clean lines and I especially love the irony of where all that glass is...in the middle of the woods. I'd love to wake up and see all that green. I don't really know much about the history or technicalities of architecture but I know what I like. and this is definitely it. and, btw, I LOVE Dwell.