Monday, April 27, 2009

The Uninvited Guest


Now I love nature as much as the next gal, but a midnight visit on Saturday from a black bear on the deck of Potic Cottage is a bit too close for comfort. Just like the bear featured in this photo, I tried to snap a pic myself, but the flash only bounced back at me off the window. There was no way I was opening the door to get a good shot, blog or no blog. Standing on his hind legs, the bear had to be about eight feet tall, 400 pounds. I watched in awe as he shook a bird feeder into his mouth, like a box of tic tacks. But it was when he settled down to lick his paws that James and I decided he was too comfortable with his new spot. Getting an air horn, we gave him a good blast and off he went into the darkness. James made a few phone calls today, and hopefully our month-long absence without bird feeding or garbage disposal will be sufficient in encouraging him to move elsewhere; otherwise we need to get in touch with the DEC and hear their suggestion on sending him off to wilder pastures.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh wow, this would have scared me senseless! I hope he doesn't come a regular visitor to your cottage!
Thanks for stopping by my blog Nadine. Best wishes
Catherine