Monday, November 8, 2010

The Story of an Hour


George Nelson Butterfly Clock
As we still adjust from turning our clocks back an hour, it seems that advertisements for clocks and watches have popped up everywhere around me. Entire sections of shopping catalogues have become dedicated to buying the perfect timepiece for that special someone, that is, of course as long as that person is still using a watch. Indeed, the constant connection to the cellphone has replaced the need for the watch in keeping up with time by any other means. I confess, I too, have stopped wearing a watch. Yes, I have the phone, but as a teacher, I have the bonus of clocks and bells everywhere I turn. In fact, nowadays when I wear my watch, more likely than not it is for decoration since the battery has probably long expired. But has this change affected us in any way? Perhaps not. If I point to my wrist, will you know I'm looking for the time? Will the watch go the way of the eight-track tape? Will we lose our appreciation of the passing of time with an anonymous digital readout?
Needless to say, I've just inspired myself to wind my grandfather clock and my antique watch before it's too late.

No comments: