Monday, September 6, 2010

Matisse at MoMA





I've always been a huge fan of Henri Matisse's work so I was pleased to find myself today at MoMA to see Matisse: Radical Invention, 1913-1917. Their composition and color are about the sheer joy of experience, and to see some works in person which I had never seen before, was an inspiring way to end the summer this Labor Day. The images, completed during WWI and the cubist era, had a richness that surprised me, especially Interior with Goldfish. The images that struck me most were his interior scenes, with glimpses of Parisian street scenes out the window. The surface of the canvas, with layers of paint peeking out from underneath each other, were darker than his earlier fauvist work and served to bridge one era of his work to the next. The show runs until October 11th.

No comments: