Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Earth Day: Go Garden


Have you ever found yourself sitting in traffic, wondering how you would survive if there was a full scale apocalypse? No? Obviously you haven't spend enough time on the Southern State Parkway. One morning I began to run through one such scenario and realized that, despite my packed cupboards and stocked freezer, I'd be at a loss on how to grow my own food. Sure I have a small kitchen herb garden, but beyond the oregano and the sage, then what? This year will be different. With starter plants and seeds, we've been preparing for a vegetable garden. I've ordered a rain collection barrel and recycled soaker hose, and to celebrate Earth Day, James tilled up a stretch of grass in the sunniest part of the yard. Step by step, our goal of a summer garden will hopefully become a reality, and not the nightmare scenario that inspired it.

No comments: